Saturday, January 3, 2009

Part 5: Flaws in the PSP brush engine

I've put together an illustrated review of PSP's brush engine. As you can tell, an engine that was built at the time when tablets were only just becoming popular, just isn't relevant anymore. Under "General program preferences, you can even spot the outdated phrase: "Disable pressure support for puck-type pointing devices"...

Note: I decided to compare PSP not only to Photoshop, but also to Open Canvas 1.1, which is a single 1 MB .EXE file.



Get with the times, man...


Next: Part 6 - What PSP X3 should look like

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would rather have paint.Net installed than this openCanvas.
Plus, you're comparing Photo editing apps with Drawing apps. Just try googling for "openCanvas fish-eye remover" and won't find that much support on the internet.

Anonymous said...

I hate PSP X2. MediaCataloger.exe is hogging my whole machine.

I wish it were something I could uninstall and never see again.

Anonymous said...

Man, your blog is what PSP needed and deserved! Hopefully Corel not only notice, but realize they need to seriously work on PSP.

I've been using PSP since version 4 or 5, I was a kid then. It just grew on me an so I kept at it when I started doing websites. I was very disappointed with the bloat and extra bg processes they introduced. Sadly, like everyone's noticed, they haven't really updated PSP since acquiring. It feels like PSP X2 is the last PSP, they haven't updated in such a long time.

Anyway, keep it up! Thanks for the blog!

Laura Ess said...

Open Canvas is surprisingly easy to use for a painting program.

I used to lust after Painter, and when I finally tried it on decent hardware I was fairly disappointed. Since then I found a number of free or cheap programs that just do one thing - allow the the user to paint fluidly on a canvas. It seems easier do that and export the resulting images to PSP, than use PSP's natural media.

Some days I think what's really needed is a free graphics editor that doesn't have its own native format, but which "lives" in PSD, XFC, PSP and Painter formats. That way you could have your cake and eat it too!